Should you email or call?
For years, it has been a debate in the sales community. Interaction with the prospect is the key to gather and educate, establish trust and secure for a follow up call. If you don’t know what medium to use best to deliver the message, tendency is you will have poor response rate.
It’s your first time to reach out to prospects and you’re not sure what medium to use to deliver your message. Let this be your guide on deciding whether to send an “introductory email” or call your prospective customers.
Sending “initial email” first
Many experts nowadays start with an email because they use it as a reason to call to follow up on the email sent.
- You can use email as a reason to be directed to the prospect when you called because you have something to follow up for.
- It let’s you educate your prospect of your product and services and connect it with their current situation.
- Prospect understands the value proposition of your brand before talking to you. Less time and effort on sales reps..
- Prospects are not required to answer the email the moment they receive it. You still need to follow up on them again through another email or phone call to find out if they’re really interested or not.
- There’s no point in sending “initial email” if prospects are already familiar with your company. When in this situation, you can proceed and touch base with them through calling.
- It takes time to reach out to prospects and convert a sale.
Call and initiate a conversation
Most sales reps prefer calling prospects when doing lead generation. Unfortunately, calling also takes time and effort same with email but at least you get immediate answer from the prospects.
- You will be able to identify right away if the prospect is a good fit for your business or not by verifying it when you called.
- You appear human.
- You will know if there’s an opportunity when you called. Lead conversion is faster.
- It takes time and effort. You may need to call 3, 5 or even 10 times in order to get hold of your prospective customers. Find out how many call attempts should you do before you surrender a lead.
- There will be times wherein they are not available to talk to you. You need to consider the best day and time to call them to get higher contact ratio.
- No one wants to take a random call from a telemarketer who will discuss about a product they’ve never heard before.
Other mediums to use to reach out to prospects is through social media such as; Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+, Twitter, etc.
Know where your prospects are, research on lead generation statistics in Australia and what social media platform they usually use and create your reputation using social media. Social media has a word “social” in it, which means it’s not just about you. It’s also about showing interest in others. Use social media to get a connection and engage with your prospects instead of promoting your product or service.
TIP: Never sell your product on social media. Instead, learn about the people you are trying to reach and share with them information that might interest them.
What’s the best method when reaching out to prospects? It doesn’t matter if it’s through call or email. Whatever you do, just don’t do cold calls or spam. It’s always best to make sure you have a targeted and profiled list before you start your marketing campaign. There are data profiling tools that can help you eliminate unwanted data. If it’s not workable, here’s where to get a reliable profiling services.
There are also other ways to reach out to your prospective customers. Try different approach like Multi Channel Marketing approach such as web and social media instead of just focusing on email and phone. Different ways to reach out to target prospects makes it easier for you to be where your target audience are and let them be aware of your brand.
Whatever medium you use, bottom line is, never reach out to prospect without doing any research first. Knowing your audience makes it easier for you to identify the best method to reach out to them.
Learn more marketing tips and tricks on Australia B2B Marketing Blog
Dial +61 2.9037.2248
Latest posts by Dara Lin (Posts)
- The Best Way to Reach Out to Prospects: Sales Email or Sales Call? - September 1, 2016
- The 4 External Reasons Why B2B Marketing Campaigns Fail - September 14, 2015